Thursday, January 14, 2010

On being a Working Mom...

I feel like I am missing everything. It is so hard to get things done, but hey that's parenthood, right? I have been working very hard for the little money that I get and I have to do it because of the fantastic benefits but the salary is kicking my butt. I am trying to get my Etsy shop really moving but it just seems as though I don't have enough hours in the day. I am trying to stay positive but I am so tired. Husband got a new job and we are only hoping for the best. He now works in a building doing maintenance work and just yesterday Woody Harrelson walks through the door. Apparently he has a apartment there. I guess things are looking up.

School is out but that doesn't mean I have free time. It seems like I never will.

Here is my daily schedule:

Kids are usually asleep when we wake up but not all the time.

5:30 - Get up, take a shower, make coffee, and do hair and make-up

6:30 - Husband gets up to pick up the babysitter (who lives 4 blocks away)

6:45 - Pour coffee, get lunch, head out the door to train station (which is 6 blocks away)

6:59 - Train leaves the station, open up book and drink coffee.

8:05 - Arrive at work (if trains are on time)

Work, Work, Work......

4:50 - Leave my desk, go to trains (I have to take anywhere from 2-3 trains to get to work and back home again. My commute is about 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes each way.)

6:20 - Get home kiss the kiddies and start dinner. Hubby is not home yet so kids are screaming and tired and all the while I lock them out of the kitchen.

6:40 - Daddy gets home but has to drive the babysitter back home.

7:00 - Dinner ready, Daddy's home. Eat in seconds

7:15/20 - Put Vinni to bed.

8:00 - Put Marley to bed.

8:15 - clean up the house, do dishes, get bottles and stuff ready for when Vinni wakes up, make lunches for the next day. Vinni sometimes wakes up and stays up for a while so we do this while holding her at times.

9 - 9:30 - Go to bed.

We really don't have time to watch T.V or even talk to one another. We are so drained that we can barely stay awake.

On the weekends we have so much to do that we are running around but on Sundays we try to make it all about the kids and we try to take them to museums or just out to run around and of course it really depends on the weather. But when school starts of course this all changes because I have to go into another town to go to class. My Mother or a friend usually will come downstairs to my apartment and watch Vinni while hubby comes and gets me at school (which is 45 minutes from my house). He usually takes Marley but sometimes he is forced to take both of them. We usually get back to my house around 9:45 depending on traffic and whether or not the class runs late or what have you.

UGH! It is rough but I tell myself that it's all wroth it!


notjudy said...

It is worth it, Donna! It has to be, right? That's what I keep telling myself! I will say this: as hard as it is dealing with two work schedules and two babies, it's much better than the alternative which is not having to worry about work, but worrying about money instead! Just keep on trudging along. Is that a word? Anyway, just keep it up and know that you are a good and loving mother!

Donna said...

THX Jude. It's just nerve racking. I am sure it will work itself out one day but knowing that it's not, at least for another 3-4 months, is just driving me nuts!

The Knitwit Hues said...

Yes, I'm sure it's worth it. I wish I had some great secret or hint to make things easier or to stretch hours so it wasn't always so rushed and tiring ... but I don't. It HAS to be worth it. If ranting helps, rant away!!